As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.!
The suede can’t be washed with water. Because water can damage your shoes, but you can clean them without water.
Suede shoes are usually very sensitive. So, we need to take some special care of them to enhance their lifetime.
I’m a crazy suede shoe lover. But I have to take care of them regularly like a baby. But it doesn’t bother me because compared to their service, this much care is nothing at all.
Will washing suede shoes ruin them?
Washing your Suede with water can ruin them because suede shoes are designed with ‘suede leather.’ So if you wash Suedes with water, their color can be fade, and the leather can become stiffer, broken, and cracked.
Typically, leather lost its moisture with time, but water causes it to rough soon. Not only this, water will damage your Suede very severely and cause spot stains also.
can you wash suede jacket in the washing machine?
I have already forbidden washing your Suede shoes with water. But if you still want to take the risk, follow the guideline below:
- Detergent: Use mild soaps and liquid cleansers or detergents that are mainly produced for suede leather. Avoid using any regular detergents or fabric softeners
- Setting: Set the temperature and spin of the washing machine to a low setting. If your washing machine has a handwashing option in the setting, then choose that option. But If not, then select the most gentle setting.
- Drying: After washing, wrap your shoes with a towel and try to absorb the water as much as possible. Next, get them air-dry in a well-ventilated place. Avoid drying with a dryer because suedes can’t stand the heat.
What is the best way to clean Suede?
Water is absolutely a harmful element for Suede. Therefore, you cannot clean Suedes as you want because shoes’ durability greatly depends on the cleaning process.
Let’s see some of the best ways to clean Suede shoes :
01. Let your shoes dry:
If you notice a little dirt or mud on your suedes, then wait until they dry completely. Don’t clean before that; otherwise, you will push the dirt around and worsen. Dried suedes will be easier and quicker to clean.
02. Brush them:
After getting the dirt dry, the first thing you should do is the brush. Use any soft brush or suedes special brushes will be the best.
Brush your shoe lightly, and it’s essential to do that for maintaining the shoe appearance. If it is hard to clean the dirt and mud off, you can pressure it a little, but don’t scrub too much to damage your suedes.
03. Using an eraser:
An eraser is very useful for lifting stubborn stains and removing them. For this, suede rubbers will be best, but if you use a regular pencil eraser, that will also work fine. You just need to make sure that your using eraser is clean.
As for the rubber, You need to force a little bit more than the brush, but a constant checking of your progress is a better idea to see if the method works or damages your Suede.
04. White Vinegar solution:
For this cleaning process, cover your hands with a soft and clean cloth, Then dab your fingers in the vinegar solution and rub gently on the surface of your Suede with grain.
Vinegar solution is an amazing household cleaner. It can break down the dirty particles and lift them off easily from the shoe. However, it is pretty acidic, so don’t use it too much. And no need to worry about the color changing because it will return to its true form after drying.
05. Others Cleaning:
Expectingly, the above process has given a clear finish to your need. If that was not enough, then here are some other things for you to try. Of course, you always need to be careful about any cleaning process because your one step or to aggressiveness is enough to ruin your Suedes.
- Steam – with hot steam, you can loosen up the stain on the shoe surface. Take a kettle, a handheld steamer, or an iron for doing this. Just hold the Suedes above the steam (not too close) and use the brushes to eliminate the stain. Be careful, don’t get them wet too much.
- Soap –It’s an excellent method to mix water and liquid soap and rub it lightly on the surface of the Suede with a cotton cloth. Repeat it if necessary.
- Baking soda –For liquid stains, baking soda is highly effective for lifting the strains off. It’s incredibly absorbent, so you just rub these on the shoe and let it be overnight. It may absorb all the stains and give you a clean suede.
- Suede cleaner –A suede cleaner is also a good option. It is not that great for removing dirty things, but it may lift off the stains.
HOW TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN SUEDE SHOES (AT HOME) – 3 EASY WAYS >> Check out the video below:
Can I clean the Suede with water?
Avoid water as much as you can. Some people may say that you can clean your Suede with water, but I suggest, don’t. Because suedes shoes are made with suede leather and using water can ruin your shoes seriously.
Once I used water to clean one of my suede shoes, I regret my decision till today. Because water made my shoe crack, the leather became dull, and the color faded. So, use a vinegar solution, soft brushes, clean cloths, and suede cleaning kits instead for making your Suede look like a new one again.
How do you fix hard Suede?
Typically, leather loses some of its moisture with time. As a result, and for different reasons, it can become rough. But we don’t just let it be. So here is the best way to fix your rugged Suede.
Things you need:
- Liquid silicone
- A damp sponge or cotton cloth
- A clean and soft toothbrush or suede brush.
Steps to fix hard Suede:
- Step 1: Ensure that your Suede is free from dust particles or debris. If it is not clean, then make it neat and clean first.
- Step 2: Take liquid silicone on a cotton cloth or a sponge, then dampen it or spray it directly on your Suede. Make sure that all the shoe surfaces are covered.
- Step 3: For working with silicone treatment, use a soft toothbrush or suede brush to reach the complex areas. (must be in one direction)
- Step 4: Repeat that process if necessary.
[Note: you can use baby oil instead of liquid silicone.]
Can you clean the Suede with vinegar?
Vinegar is a fantastic cleaner that removes tough dirt marks from your Suede effectively. There are some methods for Cleaning Suede with vinegar. So let me tell you the technique.
- Vinegar solution (white)
- Cotton cloth
- Soft brush & baby wipes
- Clean the dirt off your Suede.
- Wipe your boot’s surface with the baby wipes because they are very soft and smooth.
- Take the vinegar solution on a cotton cloth and dump it on the surface of your boots with your fingers
- leave them dehydrated overnight (air dry).
- After drying, brush on the spot gently to retreat any lingering marks. (if need)
How do you moisturize Suede?
Suede needs to moisturize to hold its brightness. So let’s see the moisturizing process of Suede.
- Spray bottle
- suede protector
- A quality moisturizer
- Soft towel
The process to follow:
- Step 1: Clean your Suede correctly.
- Step 2: Put your Suede in an open and well-ventilated area. Then take the newspaper and cover the surface area to protect it from discoloration.
- Step 3: Take the suede protector and spray it evenly on the Suede (as manufacturer’s directions).
- Step 4: Let it dry thoroughly.
- Step 5: Apply the protector the second time and let it dry again.
- Step 6: Now, take the moisturizer and rub it evenly on the Suede.
- Step 7: Let it dry overnight.
What is the best suede protector?
There are various kinds of suede protectors, and they are best from different angles. So let’s see some of the best suede protectors:
- Best for the Leather: Garde Rain from Apple Brand and the Stain Repellent
- Best for the Suede: The Crep Protect, a Universal Protector
- Best Multipurpose: NeverWet Boot Spray from Rust-Oleum
- Best Value of Leather: Water and the stain repellent “Bickmore Gardmore.”
- Best Value of Suede: Sof Sole Spray (Waterproofer)
- Best Non-aerosol (Suede): Nikwax Nubuck & SuedeProof Waterproofing
- Best for the High-end Boots: Water Repellent and the Stain Protector by Cadillac Select
- Best for UV Protection: Forcefield Spray (Waterproof)
- Best for the Uggs: Ugg Protector, the ShoeCare Kit
- Best for the Hiking: Kiwi Boot (Waterproofer)
Does acetone damage suede?
Never use any kind of aggressive chemicals like acetone on your Suede because Suede has susceptible leather that can get damaged easily.
Dirt, Stains, and any kinds of aggressive substances are tough to remove from Suede, but some solutions can really help to eradicate these. So follow those solutions but never use acetone.
Hopefully, this article helped you clarify your confusion and questions about Suede and can suede shoes be washed. And now you know all about it. So don’t wash your Suede with water, and be careful about your loving shoes.
You might also like:
Rafayel Bryen is a lead content creator for Workwear Adviser. He is an expert on workwear because he had been into odd jobs. This is why he knows the importance of hard-wearing clothes.